WestUrban Developments Ltd. is a vibrant, fast-growing real estate development company based on Vancouver Island. Our team has over 30 years expertise in construction management, customized development and development planning in Western Canada. We believe that positive relationships are the cornerstone for success, and we strive to build strong teams built on respect, integrity, and safety. Our entrepreneurial culture encourages and empowers our teams to create innovative solutions to overcome challenges. We have made significant investments into our business over the last few years setting the stage for a major expansion in 2022 and beyond. Come join us at this exciting time and be part of something incredible!
We are looking for an experienced Finishing Carpenter to take on the role of Superintendent, Finishing, to lead the creation of a new team of Finishing Carpenters. WestUrban Developments operates on a fast paced, lean construction model. Under the general direction of the Construction Manager, the Superintendent will be focused on the finishing stages of multi-family residential construction across Vancouver Island. You will be responsible to create and maintain momentum while overseeing all estimating, scheduling, quality control, safety, staff and relationship management. For the finishing crew. The Superintendent is an important part of the WestUrban project team, responsible to support overall project requirements, while leading people as effectively as you lead construction activities. If WestUrban Developments sounds like someplace you would like to grow your career, we offer an opportunity for driven and skilled individuals to grow and thrive in the competitive construction environment.
• Perform the duties of a finishing carpenter while overseeing a workforce of up to 10 people through final stages of project completion, across multiple sites and managing any required fleet and tools;
• Assist with overall budget review and cost tracking related to finishing work, contributing toward the completion of look-ahead schedules;
• Help issue site documentation and review of any site changes and cost implications;
• Familiarize yourself with the blueprints in order to foresee problems and minimize the schedule & financial impacts;
• Establish, maintain, and ensure quality control standards for all finishing work;
• Identify and escalate potential issues to the Construction Manager in a timely manner;
• Recommend corrective actions when necessary to maintain project schedule and quality;
• Ensure all staff and contractors maintain a safe working environment according to company policies;
• Ensure that all changes are properly documented and implemented;
• Perform productivity and quantity tracking for pay periods and ensure the timely delivery of reports and schedule updates for the Construction Manager on a regular basis;
• Identify deficiencies and ensure high quality work is delivered in all finishing;
• Develop a thorough understanding of finishing plans and specifications, work schedules, delivery targets and procedures related to change orders, claims and costing;
• Prepare estimates per board foot for casings and baseboards contributing towards budget preparation and determining piece meal pay rates;
• Demonstrate excellent communication skills with site staff, sub-trades, Construction Managers, Project Managers and other site staff, while maintaining a strong presence and involvement in all finishing related activities;
• Assist the Project Manager and Construction Manager in developing and maintaining the finishing schedule, budget and reporting. Provide weekly schedule updates in order to maintain production with-in budget;
• Collaborate and Work with the Construction Manger to streamline and follow WestUrban’s finishing processes;
• Before assigning work, recognize hazards and provide guidance to employees on how to work in a more safe and efficient manner, correcting unsafe acts immediately;
• Assist with recruiting, training, and developing staff. Provide ongoing feedback to ensure continuous improvement;
• Manage staffing levels and order materials and equipment to maintain project schedule and productivity;
• Maintain a site consistent with WestUrban Development’s professional image, while keeping a clean and organized site and office.
• Minimum of 7 - 10 years finishing carpentry experience with 5 years of staff supervisory experience;
• Construction or Carpentry Technical Diploma, Trade Certification and/or equivalent training and experience;
• Willing to travel to various construction sites across Vancouver Island, lower mainland and interior BC;
• Advanced knowledge of construction technology, methods, equipment, tools, procedures, scheduling and cost control and the BC building code;
• Demonstrate competence in the areas of safety, people management, project execution, cost control, quality, and administration;
• Intermediate to strong computer skills with the ability to do plan takeoffs and material orders;
• Previous experience working in a multi-family residential construction environment is an asset;
• Previous experience with flooring installation is an asset;
• Strong sequencing experience;
• Proven experience managing projects according to plan, schedule and budget;
• Valid First Aid certification is an asset, level 2 preferred;
• A valid driver’s license is required;
• Desire to search out opportunities to learn new things and to support the learning of others;
• Considers quality and accomplishes tasks with an eye on the finished product;
• Willing to travel to various construction sites across Vancouver Island, the lower mainland and interior BC;
• Willing to work overtime and weekends as required to meet project schedules.
We provide a competitive salary, based on experience, and benefits package. If you are interested in this exciting opportunity please submit your application below or email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are committed to the principles of employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. This job posting will remain open until the role has been filled.
Submit Your Application