Assistant Site Superintendent
With our head office just steps from the Campbell River Sea walk, overlooking Discovery Passage, WestUrban Developments Ltd. is a vibrant, fast-growing real estate development company. Our team has over 30 years expertise in construction management, customized development and development planning in Western Canada and Vancouver Island. We believe that positive relationships are the cornerstone for success, and we strive to build strong teams built on respect, integrity, and safety. Our positive environment encourages and empowers our teams to find innovative solutions and overcome challenges.
We are looking for an Assistant Site Superintendent to assist with our large multi-family residential project in Victoria, BC. WestUrban Developments operates on a fast paced, lean construction model. Under the general direction of the Superintendent, the Assistant Site Superintendent oversees the entire construction process, on site, from preconstruction planning to completion. You will be responsible to create and maintain project momentum while overseeing all scheduling, quality control, safety, staff and sub-contractor relationship management. The Assistant Site Superintendent is an important part of the WestUrban project team, responsible to support overall project requirements, while leading people as effectively as you lead construction activities. If WestUrban Developments sounds like someplace you would like to grow your career, we offer an opportunity for driven and skilled individuals to grow and thrive in the competitive construction environment.
- Oversee and manage the construction site and team from initiation to hand over on project completion.
- Multisite management as required;
- Understand and provide expertise in all aspects of the construction process. Civil, Concrete, Framing, Building Systems (Fire Protection, HVAC, Plumbing & Electrical), Finishing, Inspections, and close-out;
- Develop a thorough understanding of plans and specifications, work schedules, delivery targets and procedures related to change orders, claims and costing;
- Prepare Estimates and shop drawings as required;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills with site staff, sub-trades, consultants, engineers and regional authorities, while maintaining a strong presence and involvement in all site activities;
- Assist the Project Manager and Superintendent in developing and maintaining the construction schedule and site management plan, documents and reporting. Provide weekly schedule updates in order to maintain production with-in budget;
- Establish and maintain quality control measures;
- Manage relationships with all sub-contractors, identify any scope of work issues and implement measures to proactively address emerging quality issues.
- Collaborate with Project Manager to manage all required municipal, provincial and consultant inspections;
- Collaborate and Work with Construction Manger to streamline and follow WestUrban’s construction processes;
- With the guidance and assistance of WestUrban’s Safety Manager, ensure a safe and healthy work environment for all personnel on site. Monitor safety performance, and oversee compliance with WorkSafeBC and BC Workplace Safety standards
- Before assigning work, recognize hazards and provide guidance to employees and contractors on how to work in a more safe and efficient manner, correcting unsafe acts immediately
- Review documents and drawings for accuracy and constructability
- Assist with recruiting, training, and developing staff. Provide ongoing feedback to ensure continuous improvement;
- Manage staffing levels and order materials and equipment to maintain project schedule and productivity;
- Maintain a site consistent with WestUrban Development’s professional image, while keeping a clean and organized site and office.
- Minimum of 5 years construction Superintendent experience with 3 years of staff supervisory experience;
- Construction or Carpentry Technical Diploma, Trade Certification and/or equivalent training or experience;
- Trade background with progressive experience in general contracting;
- An advanced understanding of the BC Building Code;
- Advanced knowledge of construction technology, methods, equipment, tools, procedures, scheduling and cost control;
- Demonstrated competence in the areas of safety, people management, project execution, cost control, quality, and administration;
- Previous experience working in a multi-family residential construction environment is an asset;
- Proven experience managing projects according to plan, schedule and budget;
- Valid First Aid certification is an asset, level 2 preferred;
- A valid driver’s license is required;
- A positive attitude and ability to build a constructive team environment on the work site;
- Desire to search out opportunities to learn new things and to support the learning of others;
- Considers quality and accomplishes tasks with an eye on the finished product;
- Willingness to work overtime and weekends as required.
We are committed to the principles of employment equity and encourage applications from all qualified applicants. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. This job posting will remain open until the role has been filled.